Sweet!! My "bed jacket" is complete. I finished sewing the buttons on last night.
Don't you think they are perfect? What a find at MJ trim.
I wish I could better express the scrumptious feel of the jacket. It's quilted layers feel more like a sweater then a jacket due to the fact that there is no interfacing or traditional tailored structuring.
The silk lining against the skin...don't think I need to say much on that score.
The slightly bell sleeve adds to the comfort, no binding at the elbow or bicep.
For a recap....we have a wool and angora blend fabric which has been hand quilted with silk thread to the silk charmeuse lining.
The princess and cuff seams are lapped and wrapped in the silk lining.
The lapels have a self designed primitive flower quilted on them. Which is echoed on the upper back panel as well.
All of the interior seams are neatly hidden.
I changed the hem line to swoop in the back. It's very flattering on and protects my lower back from being exposed to the cold morning air.
You can also see the silk bound shoulder seam from this angle.
The back princess seams open to a lapped vent from waist to hem.
The quilting pattern that runs up the back panel is worked in 3 colors of silk thread - teal, brown, and mint greeen
The cuffs have wool applique, needle felting, embroidery and echo quilting.
The hem is also bound with the silk lining.
The buttonholes are hand worked in a teal silk thread (doubled), something I do not do very often, but I think they add just the right touch here. Quite a bit more delicate then the pattern suggests, but the entire jacket is delicate I think.
Here we have my project worksheet..my scanner is out of comissh, so I had to take a picture of it.
As you can see this idea was launched in 2007 which I believe was when I purchased the wool fabric at a Minnesota sewing expo. I officially started sewing on it in August of 2011, put it aside for 4 months and committed to finishing it as my "Git R Done" resolution of 2012
The entire project cost $105.00
You can see the the progress posts at the links below.
2nd post the hand quilting and sleeve seam finish
This pattern was simple to put together, my additions proved labor intensive though. Needless to say you could machine quilt your layers, or do a standard lining in it and then it would go together quite quickly. That having been said , I found it a very suitable pattern for additional embellishment....so you just might want to get creative. The original instructions are complete and easy to follow. You may or may not want to amend the sleeve cuff ( see 2nd post) and if you have a full upper arm you will need to adjust your sleeve pattern as you normally would.
Jillybe asked me earlier why I was calling it a "bed jacket" and primarily that is because it was inspired by the lounging pajamas from glamour movies of the 30's and 40s. In those movies even middle class "broads"
had the must outrageous lounging costumes.
I just think every women needs just such a garment.
Let's crawl out of our sweatpants and slip on something luxurious. We deserve it:)