Sewing Cafe

Patterns, Tutorials and Works in Progress from the Sewing Studio of Lynne Williams

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Active Wear - Navy Shirt part 2





I should give a prize to the person who can figure out what this is a picture of, right?  Well the first clue is that its part of a shirt....after all that is the title of the post.

Okay enough foolishness.  It's a sleeve pinned into the bodice.  I decided to sew the sleeve in prior to sewing the underarm, because although the cap height seems a little tall for this method, its a knit, and a stretchy one at that.  So I pinned it at the underarm, notches, and shoulder seam.  I sewed it in with the sleeve side up and while matching my cut edge sewed around the curve.  



 

 After sewing the sleeves in I over locked them and moved onto the side seams.  Before over locking my side seams I tried the shirt on to check the fit.  Hmmmm...surprisingly the underarm felt low especially for a work out shirt.  I am surprised by this because remember in my first post I mentioned that I started with a size smaller then usual? 

The solution at this point was you can see at left.  The over locked seam is the sleeve seam.  I brought my side seam in 3/4" tapering it to the sleeve hem and to the bust in the other direction.  This worked like a champ, and I was then able to over lock it as well.  I hemmed the sleeves and bottom as I did for the yoga pants.




 Well this is great I have a nice snug t-shirt in a lovely shade of blue, but honestly its a little boring.  Here comes the fun, at least it was for me, but I seem to have a undeniable need to complicate every project...at least a little.  I mean if a well fitting t-shirt made from stash fabric isn't enough, that I feel compelled to jazz it up in some way, does this make me greedy? or a creative genius?






My husband and I had the opportunity not only to see the original Batman and Robin costumes from the 66 Batman TV show but we were allowed to try them on! Did I mention that my husband is a huge fan of the show..and that we make replica bat cowl for people? Needless to say this created quite a photo opportunity for us and our dear friend Mark Hardeman snapped a pic that has become a favorite of mine. Now enters another friend Scott Sebring who is a wiz on Illustrator, he very kindly produced this seal of approval using the aforementioned picture.  I printed it out on a ink jet fabric sheet.




After printing I ironed it to help set the ink and peeled the paper backing off.  Then I applied misty fuse to the back and carefully cut it our around the zig zags. Next I ironed it onto the shirt.  Now....it has yet to be seen how well this technique will hold up through multiple washings, but I sure like the results and it makes for an interesting experiment.


This final picture shows my complete 66' Batman workout wear!  Its Williams Studio 2 approved! lol.  I have more pieces to add to my work out wardrobe, but this should certainly brighten up the 6am cardio routine.  Thanks for joining me while I sew, and tomorrow I will post the latest class progress.

1 comment:

  1. That's hilarious! I like your de-branded active wear. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts with Lynne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...