So happy with the way this blouse turned out. Very flattering style and so comfortable to wear.
I tried to make it authentic to the period (1938), which is to say no serging/ overlocking inside. Instead I zig-zagged the seams with the fine thread at the bottom of the picture and used an all purpose for the seaming. I thought about hand casting the seams.....but having just completed the Indygo jacket, got over it:)
I looked on line for suitable buttons but in the end decided to cover some 7/16" half domes.
The pattern shows you how to create button loops from thread, but I decided to make self fabric loops.
This shows a close up shot of the buttons and spaghetti which makes up the loops. The 2 buttons on the left are face up and the 2 button on the right show the back. The buttons required 2 layers of fabric so the metal would not shine through. This meant that there was to much bulk to snap the metal backs on...they just kept popping off..which meant I needed to do a proper job and cover the back of the button as well. I am so glad that I did. Don't they look pretty?
I interfaced the facing, front and back with 1" strips of silk organza. I did not follow the directions for assembly of the shoulder seams but reinforced the seam first with stay stitching, clipped into it and sewed it with right sides together, just as you would for a shawl collar.
The pattern has you tie a bow at the front, but I felt the single loop was a little less bulky and contemporary looking. The bow is very cute though and when I make it again in a chiffon I will more then likely do so. In the wool it just felt a tad bulky to me.
Look at this awesome picture I found while looking for garments of the period. This is the cover of Du Barry Fashions in 1938. A very similar style in the same color. Mine photographs much brighter but really reads this color in natural light. Now I just need those fabulous gloves!
After filling out my project worksheet I found this garment cost me $24.10
The blouse requires 1-5/8 yard and I used a wool I had in my stash that was gifted to me by a client so there is no fabric price reflected in my total. I probably would have included it if I could remember what she paid for it...but alas that paperwork was filed eons ago..in a galaxy far far away. One of the benefits of sewing for others is you are sometimes left with usable "scraps"....Oh Joy!
For more information about this project see post list below: