Sewing Cafe

Patterns, Tutorials and Works in Progress from the Sewing Studio of Lynne Williams

Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Michael Kors Dress

This dress is from Vogue American Designer series.  It is by Michael Kors and the pattern number is V1117.  Due to the dark navy color it is difficult to get a decent picture of it. I kept moving the dress form around the studio looking for the right lighting conditions(very high tech).  We probably all say this about our pattern purchases, but "I just fell in love with this design as soon as I saw it"  This is my first garment designed by Michael Kors that I own, but it may not be the last.  I used a lovely piece of Italian wool that was in my stash.  It has a soft pinstripe in it and a touch of lycra.  I lined it with Ambiance rayon.  




The Vogue pattern was very precise as most of the designer patterns are, and the directions were quite complete and you do need to follow them closely. This pattern is for a more advanced seamstress, and if you decide to tackle it I suspect you will learn some neat new tricks.   I do suggest that you mark your stitch lines as accurate seaming is a must on this design.
One downside to this pattern is the low front neckline....if I wasn't so short this would not be a problem, its not as if I am exposing cleavage, but everyone is taller then I am which makes this neckline revealing. I thought about raising it, but part of the beauty of this design is in the wide dramatic curve, and I really didn't want to mess with that. It would work at a cocktail party with some low light, but for modest daytime wear I came up with a solution. What could it be.....












Really how simply fantastic is this wrap?  I had to knit it twice, but it was worth it.  The yarn is a silk and wonderful to handle.  Why you may ask did I knit it twice?  Yours truly failed to change to the larger needle as directed...oops.  I am merrily knitting along and come to the end and the directions read " change to smaller needles"  Oh ____! really? heat flush, sigh, unravel and begin again.  It was worth it though.  The only change I made in the wrap pattern was to hand sew some clear elastic around the inside upper edge to help it keep its shape.  Silk, even knit has little elasticity, and no memory.  Now before you all start thinking I am some kind of miracle worker I will mention that this dress was finished at the end of the summer, long before the beading began on Wonder Woman.  I am trying to catch up on my pattern reviews and garment talk.  Hope to improve at this in 2011. 

Please let me know what you think,  what color would you make it in?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts with Lynne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...