Sewing Cafe

Patterns, Tutorials and Works in Progress from the Sewing Studio of Lynne Williams

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Pajama Party Pantaloon

 Ta Da! my completed Pajama Party Pantaloons.
Chuck says they remind him of Sandra Dee....I will accept that:)
I say I am ready for a pillow fight and a game of Twister

Our Pajama Party sew along will have its first official installment this Friday, so ladies I hope you are gathering your supplies.  Speaking of supplies...if you want to make a pair of pantaloons you might want to pick up some additional items above and beyond, your pattern, fabric and thread.

Ruffler                     narrow hemmer                adapter
These feet above are not required to complete the pantaloons, but if you have them on hand or have thought about purchasing them, now might be a good time. I will be showing you how to use them...I have even made some video tutorials for us.

The Ruffler and the Narrow hemmer are old singer feet which you can pick up on ebay, or at yard sales and no you do not need a singer sewing machine to use them.


The adapter foot was purchased through my local Bernina dealer for use on my Bernina.  This adapter foot is what allows you to use other manufacturers feet.  What you need to know before purchasing an adapter is:  Are your singer feet low shank or high shank?  Bernina makes both adapters but a high shank adapter will not work with a low shank foot.  I could not find the adapters on their website but the numbers are #75 standard  or #77 short. 

Bernina does sell rufflers and narrow hem feet as well, but they do tend to be more expensive then the above alternative.

I also used elastic thread to create the smocking at the top of the pantaloons.  Gutterman also makes an elastic thread which will work as well.

If you want ruffles on your hemline, certainly not required but that's fashion for you.  I would pick up an additional 1/2 yard of fabric.

So to recap:
  1.   Pajama pattern
  2.   Fabric and thread to match, plus 1/2 yard for ruffles
  3.   Ruffler foot, narrow hem foot and adapter - optional
  4.   Elastic thread for smocking
  5.   1" wide Ribbon to tie at waist
  6.  Universal or sharp machine needles size 10 or 12
  7.  A clean sewing machine
  8.  Sewing notions - pins, scissors or rotary cutter, iron and board, seam gauge or 1" c-thru ruler, 3x18 c-thru ruler, pencil or fabric marking pen, hand needle, contrast thread, tape measure

Here is a list of the follow up posts.  Click on the link to take you to each tutorial.
Lets Begin
Cutting Strips for ruffles
Sewing Ruffles
French seams etc.


2 comments:

  1. I love your pj bottoms!

    Is this open to everyone, not just your sewing students?

    Do we just show up anytime on Friday (at your blog)?

    I have the fabric and the pattern, but I need to buy ribbon and elastic thread.

    Thanks!

    (PS I don't want to be anonymous, but I don't know what the other choices mean.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely open to everyone, so please join us.

    I will be posting every Friday morning and you can follow along at a time that is convenient for you. If you suscribe to the blog by e-mail you will receive the posts in your inbox as soon as they are published.

    To not be anonymous, you can simply sign your name at the end of your comment, or get a profile from one of the providers below. Click on one and they will walk you through the steps.

    Looking forward to sewing with you:)

    Lynne

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts with Lynne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...